Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Under the hood 1

I've been thinking about changing the tower strut for a while, so I crossed a half-cut store that sells few adjustable Cusco struts matching the mounting specs for a Putra. The one I had in the bay (looks like Hurricane tower bars sold in ENEOS) is already distorted due to flexes taken on hard driving days, where it also marked a scratch underneath the front hood.

Bought the used strut for RM200, which I reckon can get cheaper about RM150 at some other shop. Guess I was just to lazy to joust into a bargain :P

So I had it replaced on a fine day during wheel balancing at a tyre shop, earlier this month.

Mounted tower brace

A few days ago, I bought some pre-cut hood sound dampeners from Brothers Accessories Shop in Kelana Jaya, so I just took my time pasting it underneath the hood to further help insulate the engine noise when it's running. Cost is quite cheap which is RM38 for a stock Proton Wira / Satria / Putra front hood. Just for reference, same insulation material retails at RM35 per square meter. The material looks & feels of an OK quality for the price offered.

Sound dampeners (insulation)

I wiped all access grease underneath the hood. Any tough grease got a good help from WD40 for removal & get the surface squeaky as much as I can with a dry cloth.

Day 1

Day 1: Halfway

Day 2: Completed

As we can see everything fits into place accordingly. Not too shabby eh?

No comments: